COVID-19 Response Plan
Updated August 14, 2020
Preparing for fall semester 2020 and beyond
Cornell College has identified a phased plan to re-convene on campus which allows us to resume on-campus operations in preparation for the Fall 2020 semester in light of COVID-19. Additionally, campus was impacted by the Midwest Derecho on August 10 and we are delaying our fall semester start by two weeks. If you were planning to travel to campus or drop off items for your residence hall please email email@example.com first, phone service isn't working on campus so this email is the being monitored to answer your questions.
We are currently in Phase 3, which allows for campus offices to be opened, and modified campus visits for families of 4 or less. See the phased plan details. Each phase is dictated by guidance from health officials in the state of Iowa and Linn County and the level of implementation of campus safety measures.
We realize you might have questions about how this works. We've prepared resources to answer those questions.
- Fall Semester will now begin September 7, 2020 for all students regardless of whether we are residing on campus or off campus.
- New Student Orientation will now begin September 2, 2020 for first-year students and August 21, 2020 for transferring students.
- Fall applications continue to be accepted: if you have not made your college decision or you would like to transfer to Cornell we are still accepting applications for Fall 2020 through August 29.
- Spring applications are now being accepted: if you want to delay or change your college decision and begin at Cornell with Block 5 on January 11, we are accepting applications for Spring 2021 through December 1, 2020.
- Returning student move-in now begins September 3, 2020
Class of 2020 celebrations
- Our virtual commencement ceremony was held on May 17, 2020: watch the livestream video recording.
- We were pretty excited about the lead up to the virtual ceremony: watch the video.
- In person commencement will be planned when conditions allow for large gatherings.
Communications with the college community
- In May we announced a series of plans to extend our academic calendar to help make Cornellians' education disruption proof. It's not our first time around the block, and we're ready to make this year the best ever for our students.
- Recording of our August 5 Q&A Webinar for returning students (addresses many questions about data, testing, residence hall life, dining, and academics.)
- COVID-19 communications archive.
- Recording of July 14 Q&A Webinar with students and parents. (addresses questions about returning for fall, our plan for testing and contact tracing, student life, safety precautions, and Caring Community expectations.)
- Transcript of our March 18 phonecast with parents and families.
If you have questions for the college related to our COVID-19 response, please email COVIDfirstname.lastname@example.org and we will follow up with you during regular business hours.